Antiperspirants & deodorants… the topic is truly terrifying! This is going to be a long post, but it is worth the info my friend! You always hear that deodorant is better than antiperspirant; the truth is they are both NO BUENO. Aluminum & parabens are the two main buzzwords that you hear for posing the most threat to your health. However, there is at leeeeast 10 chemicals to stay away from when purchasing (if you must). I’m honestly not even going to get into the nitty gritty details of just HOW fudging bad they are for you—you can & SHOULD read up on it yourself. Basically I don’t want to make your heart race & get you all anxious reading about how scary the link between cancer, Alzheimer’s & other diseases are closely related to these little sticks of BO free-dom. Lucky for you… I have an all-natural & non-toxic deodorant recipe (THAT WORKS)!
Look, I understand this is a big step. HUGE in fact! Probably the last phase to complete hippie-ness. No one wants to walk around smelling like a fucking dumpster in a NY alleyway—I get it, I do! Did you know that consistent use of antiperspirants can actually make your sweat smellier, due to an overproduction of bad bacteria?!?! GIRL, IT’S TRUE. Just because your sweat may offend people if you forget to put your antiperspirant for one day does not mean that you shouldn’t try to ditch that nasty ass antiperspirant. In fact, that’s a good reason to try to detox your armpits & transition to a non-toxic option!
Did I say detox your armpits?! YOU BET I DID. You got to put in the time & “sweat” to let your body detox naturally—give it a solid month of NO antiperspirant or deodorant (you can use this natural deodorant in lieu of). Once you correct the bacterial imbalances in your armpits, your sweat should not actually smell particularly bad… who knew?! This new deodorant will actually be much more effective if it’s not fighting conditions that foster bad body odor & bacteria. Keep in mind that a little sweat is good for you; if you’re not sweating; you’re not efficiently removing toxins from your body. Don’t tell me this recipe didn’t work for you if you haven’t given your body at least a solid month of detoxing. YOU CAN DO THIS!!
Ways to help the detox process speed up:
1. Drink more water
2. Mind what you eat; limit caffeine (the horrrrorrrrrr), fried foods, alcohol, garlic, onions etc
3. Dry off WELL after your shower; don’t give bacteria growth a chance in hell
4. Take a probiotic or chlorophyll supplement
5. Bentonite Clay (lucky for you—my recipe calls for this little gem)
6. Sweat out those toxins quicker (aka get that ass up & MOVE)!
This homemade & more importantly SAFE product has been a real game changer for me. Given our family history of cancer I am trying to do everything I can to prevent it. This recipe is extremely effective & will NOT leave those nasty pit stains you get from coconut oil based deodorant recipes. The bentonite clay really helps supercharge the deodorant’s power to remove the toxins from your armpits, which helps neutralize your body odor! Super great, right?! The rosemary, lavender & tee tree essential oils are antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antiseptic & antimicrobial. Win fucking win!!! Since this is a wax based recipe it stays solid at room temperature & glides on creamy. With just SEVEN ingredients that you can actually pronounce, this deodorant is a definite NAILED IT. Also, this recipe took no longer than 10 minutes to put together. NO EXCUSES.
Feel free to change up the essential oils to make it more feminine or masculine! My hubby & I find that it works out just great for both of us. It has a strong smell because of the unrefined shea & cocoa; but honestly after putting it on, within 5 minutes it smells completely neutral.
So did I actually do the pit detox myself, you ask? Yes, I did! My detox took no longer than a week & a half & here’s why: I have always been dreadful at remembering to put deodorant on in the mornings. So what does that mean? I honestly rarely used deodorant! It’s not that I don’t smell—I have some bad days. Overall however, I don’t have much armpit body odor. Upon doing some research about detoxing from commercial deodorants; I realized I don’t have much toxins to detox from because I’ve always just went more au naturel! Basically my body isn’t harboring bacteria because I haven’t been plugging up the sweat glands in my armpits with chemically hazardous deodorants. So my detox process went much quicker! It made me that much more happy though to realize that the longer I went without commercial antiperspirant & deodorants; the less I smelled AT ALL. Does that make sense? What I’m trying to say is this method of detoxing DOES work. Be patient; you can do this. Do the steps. Detox. Reapply this natural deodorant multiple times a day if you have to. You got this.
Let me know how it works out for you guys! A big HELL YES & a high five to you for taking charge of good health habits! Now go sweat it out ;)
Makes: 1 Stick of Natural Deodorant
SHIT YOU’LL NEED:
1 ½ Tbsp Organic White Beeswax Pellets
4 Tbsp 100% Unrefined Shea Butter
1 Tbsp Raw Unrefined Cocoa Butter
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Bentonite Clay
20 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
20 drops Lavender Essential Oil
10 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
HOW TO DO THE SHIT:
1. Measure the beeswax, shea butter & cocoa butter into a microwavable glass bowl.
2. Pop in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until the ingredients are mostly melted. Stir to finish melting everything down into a clear liquid. How damn easy is this?!
3. Whisk in your bentonite clay with a fork until the mixture is nice & smooth. It only takes a minute, don’t fucking dilly dally.
4. Next, add your essential oils & stir to combine!
5. Prep an ice bath. If you don’t know what that is. it’s a bowl of water & ice………. don’t be nitpicky on the ratio—who cares? A bowl of ice water, if you will!
6. Set your glass bowl with the melted deodorant into the ice bath.
7. Stir the deodorant mixture slowly while you let it start to cool down & thicken a bit. Not TOO much or else you won’t be able to pour it. Stir until it’s just cooled off, but still drippy enough to pour into your deodorant stick.
8. Leave out at room temp & let it set.
9. BAM! Homemade all natural & non-toxic deodorant! Look at you go!
This recipe sounds amazing! And besides the oils you use is totally different than the recipe I use.
Thank you for catching my repeat of Lavender--you saved me :) I really like this recipe; it held up in Palm Springs 115 degree weather; I meant to update that little tidbit!