Ever try taking pictures of hot freshly baked chocolate chip cookies with your three year old around?? WELL DON’T.
It was like fighting off Orcs at the Gate of Mordor. LOTR reference—anyone, anyone?! Nerd alert!
Anyways, I feel like that should really give you a clue on how out of this world these cookies are. They aren’t “amazing for gluten-free”… they are plain AMAZING. Period.
My son literally scaled our high table like Spiderman & I had to swat him off the table. Don’t worry, Spiderman always lands on his feet (some-fuckin-how). No toddlers were harmed during photographing ;)
I was constantly whacking his hand away not ONLY from the cookies, but also the chocolate chips. Trying to photograph these without teeny tiny hands in the shot was extremely difficult. He ended up sticking his fingers through 10 cookies & kept shoveling chocolate chips in his mouth whenever I’d put my eye up to the cameras viewfinder. My kid 100%; I can’t blame him.
These chocolate chip cookies are best described as soft & cakey with a GORRRGEOUS crispy bottom! You get the best of both worlds! I feel like these don’t need a huge introduction because let’s get real, who doesn’t like chocolate chip cookies??!! If you happen to be the 1% that doesn’t… what happened in your childhood man?!?!
PS I developed this recipe about 9 years ago & I’m still using the EXACT same one! BOMB.com
Vegan chocolate chip cookies are on the docket next per requests. Stay tuned!
Serves: 2 dozen cookies
Prep Time: You tell me…
SHIT YOU’LL NEED:
1 ¼ cup brown rice flour
½ cup white rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp xanthan gum
14 Tbsp (1 ¾ stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
4 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Celtic flaked sea salt, optional for sprinkling on top (but highly encouraged) ;)
HOW TO DO THE SHIT:
1. Preheat oven to 325F convection bake.
2. Whisk the flour(s), baking soda, salt, & xanthan gum together. Set aside.
3. In a mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter & both sugars until light & fluffy; approx 3-5 minutes (if you’re using room temperature butter like you should be). Scrape sides regularly.
4. Reduce speed to low & add the eggs ONE at a time, mixing between each egg (about 30 seconds—we are trying to create an emulsion here **very important)!
5. Add vanilla extract. Beat until well mixed, 30 seconds.
6. Add the above flour mixture; mix for 2 minutes on medium high. (We mix for 2 minutes because unlike AP Flour… the GF Flour needs time to develop that elasticity that is normally present in AP Flour. If we were to mix for 2 minutes with AP Flour… you’d have a dry cookie—GF is the opposite).
7. Add the mini chocolate chips with mixer on low speed.
8. Cover with plastic wrap & chill until dough is firm (3-4 hours or overnight). NOTE: the chilling of the dough is very important because that is how you get a perfectly puffy & round cookie. If you were to bake these right away they’d most likely turn out flat. Just a pro tip!
9. When dough is chilled, scoop into 2 Tbsp round balls (flatten SLIGHTLY).
10. Optional: sprinkle celtic flaked sea salt on top of each cookie before baking. This lends such a nice balance to the sweetness!
11. Bake for about 12-13 minutes until bottom edges are JUST slightly browned! *DO NOT OVERBAKE… cookies WILL harden as they sit out.
12. DEVOUR! I ate an entire tray. My husband wasn’t home so I felt like I wouldn’t gain weight if no one was watching me. Hahahaha!!
Wow!! Those look great ??
Thank you Caroline--they're pretty dang phenomenal!! Nothing like the smell when baking cookies <3