If you’ve never had a meringue cookie, you’re missing out on life, hardcore! They may not look like anything special but they’re truly spectacular! It’s like a fucking mind trip for your mouth!!
It has a crunchy exterior, light & airy center that dissipates into thin air, & then it turns into a teensy tiny slightly chewy candy! Then it’s gone & you try 10 more because they POOF away just like that & you’ve wondered if you’ve even swallowed anything?!?!
That sounds bizarre, but if you’ve ever had one, you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about.
These little gems only take two ingredients to make, & that should make up for all the work that goes into these! Full disclosure always :)
They are the perfect Valentine’s treat to remind your spouse that they are worth all the hard work!! ;) hahaha!
Happy Valentine’s Week <3
Serves: a few tray fulls of meringue kisses (aka A LOT)
Prep Time: You tell me…
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.bakerella.com/meringue-kisses/
SHIT YOU’LL NEED:
1 ½ cups superfine (bakers) sugar
5 egg whites (room temperature)
pink food gel
large round piping tip (or star tip; whatever tickles your fancy)
HOW TO DO THE SHIT:
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, pour in sugar & bake for about 5 minutes until the edges just begin to melt. NOTE: We do this so the sugar dissolves more quickly when added to the egg whites.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites on low speed allowing bubbles to form. Increase to high & continue whisking until stiff peaks form & you can turn the bowl upside down without the egg whites falling out. NOTE: DO NOT OVERWHIP (take it from my dumb ass)! Whip until JUST stiff peaks form. If your eggs start to turn to the texture of cotton candy, you’ve over whipped :( whaa whaaaa. This means you’ve lost some of the protein in the egg whites which contributes to its elasticity. So basically when you go to pipe your meringue you will not get the “kisses” shape… you’ll get more of a BLOB shape. Yes, I’ve made these a dozen times so I was bound to make a mistake at some point ;)
3. Remove the sugar from the oven. With the mixer on high, add one big spoonful of the warm sugar at a time, ensuring that the whites come back to stiff peaks after each addition. It is ok if the sugar clumps, just stay away from the crystalized edges if they melted a bit too much (once again, I’d know). Once all the sugar is added, continue to whisk for about 4 minutes. NOTE: You should be able to rub the meringue between your fingers & not feel any grit from the sugar. You know it’s ready to use when it forms a smooth shiny peak on the tip of your finger.
4. Decrease oven temperature to 200F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a dab of meringue on four corners of pan & press paper on top to hold it down flat while you pipe.
5. Snip off the tip of your piping bag & put a piping tip in. Lay the piping bag down & on the inside, paint on 3 stripes of food coloring. NOTE: some people like to turn the piping bag inside out to do this, but I find that farrrr too messy when I try to turn it right side out haha.
6. Carefully spoon in the meringue mixture & pipe your kisses!! NOTE: I find it difficult to explain how to pipe this shape. Maybe if enough people are interested I can make a video of it in the future. Interested in that????
7. Bake at 200 degrees for 50-70 minutes until the kisses can easily be lifted off the parchment paper WITH the bases completely intact. Mine took this long to bake because my kisses were piped with a Wilton 1A tip, which is pretty large. The smaller the meringues, the less baking time. Let cool completely. NOTE: Store meringues in an airtight container; will keep for up to two weeks.
^ ALL YOU NEED!
^^ You'll want to bake your sugar about half this much haha. My toddler was busy having a meltdown that needed some SERIOUS tending to! You'll want just the very edges to caramelize; you get the point with the picture though :)
^^ Looking down the painted piping bag
^^ Ready for piping!!
^^ After piping & before baking!
^^ Baked & beautiful!
WAY TO DISPLAY THEM <3