I’m not going to lie; this was one of the hardest recipes for me to get on paper. Why? Whenever I make this I’m usually skipping about the kitchen & sprinkling a little bit of this, a little bit of that, & A LOT of salt (we all know this by now). It is extremely difficult to keep track of what I actually put in it. I think I did a pretty damn good job though. It tastes allllmost exactly the same as when I don’t measure, *shrugs* almost! It’s still fudging DELISH.
My husband LOATHES, & I means loathes, mushrooms. Guys… he eats this shit UP. He eats it for dinner, he heats more up for a second dinner, & then he takes the leftovers to work the next day. My toddler also requests this dinner about six days a week; NO JOKE.
It freezes EXTREMELY well, which I can’t stress enough! I usually put about 3 lunch portions worth in glass containers & stick them in the freezer for the days I want a quick & somewhat “healthy” lunch. Hey, it’s better than eating out! Hence the 14” casserole dish—we like having extra of this in our home. That being said, it does make a shit ton, so feel free to cut this recipe in half.
It’s hot, crunchy, melty, creamy… & just f’ing tasty!
Let me know if you give it a try!! <3
Serves: 14” deep casserole dish
Prep Time: You tell me…
SHIT YOU’LL NEED:
16 oz package gluten-free noodles
12 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tbsp italian seasoning
1 ½ tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp garlic powder
1 ¼ tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp garlic salt
2 ½ tsp kosher salt (OR do it to taste if that seems like a lot—I LLLOVE salt)
¼ - ½ tsp fresh pepper
1 onion, diced
6 clove of garlic, minced
3 cups mushrooms, quartered & sliced **I want to say optional... but just trust me ;)
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 carrot, grated
1 cup green peas, frozen
½ cup brown rice flour
5 ½ cups milk
3, 5-ounce cans of tuna, drained & rinsed
7/8 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
HOW TO DO THE SHIT:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a large casserole dish & set aside.
2. Cook noodles until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain & set aside.
3. In a small bowl measure your spices: Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, dried oregano, garlic salt, kosher salt & pepper. Set aside.
4. In a large sauté pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add onion, garlic & mushrooms. Add HALF of the spices & cover with a lid for 3 minutes, to sweat the mushrooms. Cook for an additional 2 minutes without the lid; stir.
5. Add celery & cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat & place veggies in a heatproof bowl. Set aside.
6. Return the pan to the stove & melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in brown rice flour & let cook for a minute or so until golden & to remove the flour taste.
7. In a steady stream, pour in the milk & whisk, stirring until thick-ish (approx. 3-4 minutes). To the pan, stir in tuna, sautéed veggies, grated carrot & peas. Stir in noodles & other half of the spices! Mix WELL. Taste & adjust the seasoning (salt & pepper).
8. Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
9. Melt six tablespoons of butter in microwave; add breadcrumbs & stir to combine.
10. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over casserole.
11. Bake about 30 minutes, or until golden & bubbly.
12. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese & turn on broil until just melted (keep an eye on it).
13. Serve HOT & E N J O Y !