This salad got its name when Escondido County encountered a city-wide blackout one year. I had my best friend since Kindergarten over & she requested this salad. This was before we knew we’d be eating a romantic candlelight dinner together ;)
I have been making this salad for at least eight years & she was ALWAYS asking me for the recipe! She then proceeded to crack up because I told her that I NEVER write recipes down, so I couldn’t really give her a straight answer. Pretty ironic, isn't it?! Haha! Allison, eight years later & here you are my friend <3 THE RECIPE AT LAST!!!!
Obviously when I made this dish yesterday, I had to have her over as my official taste tester. It tasted exactly like that one night we sat eating dinner through a blackout together! Nailed it.
This salad might not look like anything special, but it has some serious fucking PIZAZZ!! It lacks noooo flavor! It’s fluffy, smoky, creamy, crunchy, nutty, toasty, bright & the perfect balance between sweet & sour! This salad is ultra-healthy; just look at those ingredients!!! Seriously, look at them. ACV, raw honey, edamame, kale, carrots, almonds, avocado etc!! I don’t think I need to turn this into a nutrition lesson because I assume we all know the amazing benefits of these ingredients.
This salad makes an excellent meal prep! It’s even BETTER the next day after the flavors have had time to mingle a bit ;) I’d just add the avocado fresh daily if you plan on meal prepping it.
Go get your hands on some smoked fish & try my blackout salad!! It’ll be the tastiest & healthiest thing you’ll ever eat. That’s a guarantee!
Prep Time: You tell me…
SHIT YOU’LL NEED:
| FLUFFY A$$ QUINOA |
1 cup quinoa, rinsed + set over a strainer for 15-20 minutes **just do it
1 ½ cups water
½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
| LEMON + DIJON DRESSING |
Juice of one lemon
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup apple cider vinegar (the kind with the “MOTHER” in it... dun dun dun!)
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp RAW honey
6 sprigs fresh parsley, destemmed
1 clove garlic
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp fresh black pepper
¼ tsp garlic salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
| SALAD |
8 oz smoked salmon (or ANY smoked fish really), torn into small flakes
1 cup deshelled edamame, steamed
1 small bunch kale, finely sliced
Mango, peeled & diced
2 carrots, shredded
½ cup roasted, salted almonds, roughly chopped
Avocado, diced (put in fresh daily if you’re meal prepping this)
HOW TO DO THE SHIT:
| FLUFFY A$$ QUINOA | **take the time to make quinoa the right way (picture below to convince you) ;)
1. Rinse the damn quinoa… you don’t know where they’ve been!
2. Drain through a fine mesh strainer & allow to drain & dry for 15-20 minutes! NOTE: DON’T you dare skip this step. This helps to remove all the water; skipping this will lead to mush-tastic quinoa.
3. Once the quinoa has sat to dry, drizzle ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a sauté pan & toast quinoa until you can smell the nutty flavor & it begins to turn golden (approx. 5-7 minutes).
4. Bring 1 ½ cups to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling, add your toasted quinoa & cover with a lid at a slight tilt so that the steam can escape.
5. Reduce your heat to medium-low to achieve a strong simmer.
6. Cook for 13-15 minutes, or until all of the water is gone. Remove from the heat & uncover.
7. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
8. Check out that beeeeautiful fluffy A$$ quinoa!!! Set aside.
| LEMON + DIJON DRESSING |
1. Put all the dressing ingredients into a high powered blender & blend on high until smooth & creamy, approx. 3 minutes. Set aside.
| SALAD |
1. Steam your shelled edamame (covered) for 1 minute. Place into large bowl. NOTE: I do this in the microwave. Feel free to do it however you please.
2. Wash, prep & cut all remaining ingredients. Add to the bowl alongside the edamame.
3. Toss the salad with as much lemon dijon dressing as you like. I’m a bit of dressing whore so I used ALL of it hahaha!! Who’s with me?!?!
4. Taste & add more kosher salt IF necessary.
5. ENJOY the hell out of this healthy salad!!
^^^ Check out how fluff-town that quinoa is!!!! Try this method, I'm telling you.
You did it again! That salad was absolutely amazing.
Nicole you're my biggest fan <3