I woke up today feeling like I was on the verge of getting sick. We are talking weak, sore muscles, tender neck, & some serious brain fog. I wanted to make something for dinner that was easy but also nourishing as fuck. I remembered a deliciously filling soup I’d made a while back. It was the PERFECT cold weather day or sick prevention soup! It’s a naturally detoxifying soup thanks to the lemon, garlic & turmeric! WIN WIN. Not to mention all of the vitamins & minerals you get from the lentils.
This soup was just as good as I’d remembered, if not better! Don’t skimp on the lemon because it’s truly the star of the show. It’s a super quick recipe with minimal ingredients.
It’s bright, lemony, carb-filled, hot & brothy. What more could you ask for?! Ahhhhhh :) If you’re not strictly gluten-free, I’m sure it’d pair well with a nice crispy baguette to sop up the remaining broth with*drooooool*.
Give this healthy & filling soup a try!
Cheers to feeling better <3
Serves: 4 large bowls
Prep Time: You tell me...
SHIT YOU’LL NEED:
| GRAINS |
½ cup lentil, dry + 2 cups vegetable broth (or cheat & use Trader Joes pre-cooked lentils)
1 cup short-grain brown rice, dry + 2 cups water + pinch of salt (or cheat & use instant brown rice. I don’t judge)
| SOUP BASE |
5 cups vegetable broth **more or less depending on how saucy you like it ;)
½ cup lemon juice (about 2-3 large lemons) **NOTE: may be too strong in the lemon department for some. Try adding HALF of the amount & you can always add the other half at the end :) This is part of where the detox comes from though!
¼ tsp lemon zest
½ tsp turmeric
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped (tbh, it could have used even more garlic—just saying)
2 bay leaves
¼ tsp black pepper
1 ¼ tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
2 tsp olive oil
¼ cup parsley, chopped
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast **optional
HOW TO DO THE SHIT:
| GRAINS |
1. Presoak lentils in warm salted water for at least one hour.
2. Bring lentils & 2 cups vegetable broth to a boil.
3. Reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes until lentils are tender. Set aside.
4. For the brown rice, bring 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt, & the brown rice to a boil.
5. Cover the pot with a lid & turn heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Set aside.
| SOUP BASE |
1. When the rice & lentils are cooked, add them to a large soup pot along with ALL the remaining soup ingredients: broth, lemon juice, zest, turmeric, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, salt, olive oil, parsley, & nutritional yeast.
2. Bring to a low boil & then reduce heat to low & simmer for 10-15 to let the flavors marry.
3. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
4. Adjust salt & pepper to taste.
5. SERVE !!
Made this tonight...WAYYYYYY to lemony!
Awww, sorry about that Amy. It is definitely a lemon flavored soup! I will, however, make a note to add half first & taste. I appreciate the input! Even this hahah
This soup is incredibly nourishing and delicious- I used the full 1/2 cup lemon juice and found it to be perfect- if you are a lemon fan, you will love it. So happy with the recipe!
Ahhh SO incredibly happy to hear this Laura!! Thank you for commenting <3 I find the 1/2 cup to be perfect as well, but I love lemon :) and that's kind of the basis of the soup! Thanks again lovey!
Hello - Looks delicious! Can you please tell me why you soak the lentils? I've never done that before. Also, do you think riced cauliflower would work instead of rice? Thank you.
Hello Kate!! Soaking the lentils helps speed up the cooking process by 2x!! It's pretty incredible :) I definitely think you can use riced cauliflower instead or rice.... it'd be even more healthy!!!