Lemon bars, a classic American dessert.
These bars have a buttery shortbread crust studded with fresh zest, accompanied by a tart, ooey-gooey lemon filling!! They’re luscious, tangy, & perfectly sweet! I’ve been ALL about baking things that just make me happy lately… & these bars, they make me HAPPY. They’re bright, beautiful & easy as fudge to make! You’d never even know they’re gluten-free! Also, please always use freshly squeezed lemons for that ZING factor. Don’t underestimate the ZING, people!
I overbaked mine 5 minutes longer than I should have (HELLO cracks), & they were still gooey & delicious! This dessert is pretty foolproof!! Or idiot-proof as my mother would say. Hah! The only reason I’m mad at myself for baking them to the point of cracks is because I had SUUUCH a vision for the powdered sugar stripes!! They still look SOLID, don’t get me wrong! I’m just a perfectionist. It has nothing to do with taste. These bad boys are your typical soft & silky lemon bars!
The best part about these bars are that they store amaaazingly in the freezer. I always make sure to have some on hand for when I’m feeling extra little piggy. I know everyone has their favorite lemon bar recipe, so I won’t sit here & tell you why mine’s better. I’m just hoping there’s some lost soul out there who doesn’t have a recipe yet, & this one will be THEIR go to. Hey, a girl could dream <3
Serves: 9” x 13” pan
Prep Time: 1 hour + chill time
SHIT YOU’LL NEED:
| SHORTBREAD CRUST |
1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown rice flour
1 cup white rice flour
¾ cup tapioca starch
½ tsp xanthan gum
Pinch kosher salt
| FILLING |
6 extra-large eggs, room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
2 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used 5 lemons)
½ cup tapioca starch
½ cup white rice flour
Powdered sugar, for dusting
HOW TO DO THE SHIT:
| SHORTBREAD CRUST |
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9” x 13” baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter & sugar until light & fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the tapioca starch, white rich flour, xanthan gum & pinch of salt.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add to the butter/sugar until just mixed.
5. Add zest & mix until just incorporated.
6. Press the shortbread dough into the 9” x 13” baking dish.
7. Chill for 15 minutes.
8. Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes, until LIGHTLY golden (I baked mine for 15). Let cool while you make the filling.
9. Leave the oven on & turn down to 325F!
| FILLING |
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, white rice flour, & tapioca starch.
2. Pour over the crust & bake at 325F for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is JUST set! (NOTE*** don’t let it bake until the top cracks… like I did. Haha! Luckily it was still deliciously ooey-gooey as you can see <3 )
3. Chill for a minimum of 4 hours, but best overnight.
4. When ready to cut/serve, dust with powdered sugar!
5. Wrap each bar in parchment paper & store in a freezer bag, in the freezer. They thaw BEAUTIFULLY!! Best dessert to have on hand.
**Check out my video to see how I did the stripes!