I have been making these chocolate biscuits for years! The only challenge was that now I needed to convert this recipe to gluten-free while trying to maintain its rock star deliciousness… and I DID IT!!
The BEST part about this dough?!?!
No rise time.
No chill time.
These chocolate biscuits aren’t overly sweet & they are moist as hellllllll. I’m not even going to sugar coat it, they’re fucking AMAZING. Like, everyone should definitely try them, THAT’S how good they are! Heart eyes for days <3
Don’t shy away like, “ohhh it’s dough, rolling, & that’s just too much work”.
NO. NO, don’t you go there! You don’t even need a mixer, just your two hands! And remember there is no rise OR chill time! These are literally the easiest & most rewarding type of biscuits.
Don’t be turned off by how they look. The first batch I forgot the baking powder, so I COMPLETELY had to remake them… hence my half-assed trying to make them just as pretty the second time hahah. Try these once & you’ll be hooked. That’s a guarantee. Let me know if you try them. They make an excellent addition to any brunch spread!! :)
Serves: 12 biscuits
Prep Time: You tell me…
Recipe adapted from: http://www.bakerella.com/chocolate-swirl-biscuits/
SHIT YOU’LL NEED:
| DOUGH |
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup white rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch
¼ tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold & cut into tiny cubes
¾ cup 2% milk (may need to add an additional tbsp if dough seems dry)
| FILLING |
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
4 ounces semi-sweet OR dark chocolate, finely chopped
| TOPPING | **optional, but gives a nice golden sheen
1 large egg yolk
1 Tbsp milk
sugar, for sprinkling
HOW TO DO THE SHIT:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees & line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together brown rice flour, white rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, sugar & salt until well blended!
3. Using fingers or a pastry blender, work butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. **NOTE: I use my fingers because I’m lazy & hate extra dishes.
4. Add milk & stir with a fork until a loose, sticky dough forms.
5. Turn dough out on a floured (brown rice flour) work surface. Flour your hands & form dough into a ball. Then gently knead it several times (8-10).
6. Flour surface & hands more as necessary & use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a 13X11 inch rectangle. **NOTE: if you don’t have a rolling pin, you can use a bottle of wine! My sister told me it works great hahaha!
7. Position the long side of the dough in front of you.
8. For the filling, spread softened butter over surface of dough. Sprinkle with sugar & cover with chopped chocolate.
9. Roll the dough up in a jelly roll fashion & cut the roll into 10-12 equal sections.
10. Place cut sections on parchment covered baking sheet about 2 inches apart & smoosh down SLIGHTLY.
11. Brush on topping if desired. Mix egg yolk & milk together & brush over tops. Then sprinkle with extra sugar!
12. Bake for about 18 minutes or until biscuits are golden & puffed up!
13. EASIEST. RECIPE. EVER!
Step by Step pictures here we gooo:
bare hands... yuuummmm ;)